Official Volleyball Rules
Last Updated July 29, 2016
*Rules may be updated at any time
Each team must have at least 6 paid players on the roster with at least 3 girls on the team. Each player must sign/accept the waiver before playing. Each week a team must have at least 3 people and 1 girl to be eligible to play. There will be a 5 minute grace period from the scheduled start of the game for a team to have enough players to be eligible to play. There are no changing teams. Once a player, or sub, plays for a team, they are considered a part of that team.
Late Arrivals -
Any player arriving late must wait until the end of the current point to enter the game. Late players must arrive before a team gets to 10-points in the second game to be eligible to play.
Substitute Players -
A team may use substitute players in a given week. All subs must sign the waiver before playing. Subs must play at least once in the regular season to be eligible for the playoffs. A team may not use more subs than regular players in the playoffs.
There is no limit to the maximum number of players on a roster. Each team will play with six (6)people on the court at one time, three (3) guys and three (3) girls. A team may not play with more than three (3) guys at one time, but may play with more than three (3) girls.
Multiple volleyballs will be available for game play. Teams must agree on the ball to use during the game. In a disagreement the LVSSC staff will make the decision.
There will be three games within a match, or 50 minutes, whichever comes first. All games are played rally-style. The first two (2) games are played to 25 points, winning by 2 up to 30 points. In a tie breaker game (game 3), the game will be played to 15 points, winning by 2 up to 17 points. A match can only be called on a dead ball due to time, with the team winning at the time being declared the winner. Matches may end in a tie during the regular season.
LVSSC staff will keep time and, if needed, keep score. Teams will referee themselves during the games, however, a LVSSC staff member will be made available to interpret rules or settle disputes. There are no line judges - teams are expected to play fair. In the event of a dispute, the LVSSC staff member will make the call or may call a do-over.
The first serve will be determined by a member of each team playing Rock, Paper, Scissors. A legal serve is one that crosses the net and is either touched by an opposing player or lands within the opposing team's area of the court within the boundary lines. A serve that makes contact with the net and carries over to the opponent's side of the net is a live serve and must be returned. Service Faults include -
- The ball is tossed for service then caught or falls to the floor.
- The ball is served under the net.
- The ball touches a player or object before crossing the net.
- The ball lands outside the opponent's court.
- The opposing team blocking the serve.
Boundary Lines -
The ball is "in" when it touches the court between or on the lines.
Player Contact with Net -
A fault will be called when a player contacts the net or poles with any body part or clothing. A player who is not intending to play the ball who accidentally contacts the net is not a fault. No player may break the net's plane, including while blocking or spiking the ball. A player must jump straight up to block or spike the ball.
A team must rotate before each serve. A team may substitute players in during their rotation to serve, however, the substitution must take place at the same position throughout the entire game.
Gender Play -
A female player must hit the ball before it is returned over the net, unless the ball is returned on the first hit. If a female fails to hit the ball, a gender fault occurs.
Walls and other obstacles are out of bounds. A ball may be played off the ceiling only if it hits and falls on your team's side. If a ball hits the ceiling and carries over to the opponent's side, it is a fault. There may be other circumstances depending on location of the matches.
Overview of Faults -
A fault will be declared against a team or player when one of the following occurs -
- The ball touches the floor.
- The ball is caught, held, thrown, or pushed.
- A team hits the ball more than three (3) times consecutively.
- A single player contacts the ball two (2) times consecutively.
- No female player touches the ball on one of the three hits when more than one hit is needed to return the ball.
- A player touches the net or net poles.
- A player crosses the center line or the plane of the center line.
- The ball lands outside the court.
- A back row player blocks or spikes.
- A player may not kick the ball
1. Any team, who forfeits their game/match for the week, must contact Lehigh Valley Sport and Social by 2PM the day of the games to avoid a fine.
2. Once a forfeit has been announced, Lehigh Valley Sport and Social will contact the captain of the other team by 3PM the day of the game to have them inform their team.
3. Any team forfeiting their game after the 2pm deadline will be charged the referee fees for both teams from the forfeited game, to be paid the following week.
Sportsmanship – *Sportsmanship to be determined at the discretion of the league official or Lehigh Valley Sport and Social Representative on site.
- All players on all teams MUST adhere to good sportsmanship.
- There will be escalating penalties for any player/team not using good sportsmanship.
- First offense – asked to sit out for a few plays
- Second (2) time being removed from a game, player will be finished for the game.
- Any player ejected from the game/match, will be ineligible to play the following week.(In days where more than (1) game is played by a team,player will have to sit for game immediately following ejection).
- Any player ejected twice (2) in a single season will be removed from the league and no longer eligible to play for the rest of the season.
- Any player ejected in multiple leagues may be ruled no longer welcome in Lehigh Valley Sport and Social.
Bar Tab Contest -
Each season, Lehigh Valley Sport and Social will run a bar tab contest for the teams. The team that supports the Bar Sponsor the best will win a gift card to the Bar Sponsor at the end of the season. The amount of the gift card will be %15 of their total receipts turned in through the first week of the playoffs. The final percentage amount will be rounded up to the nearest $5.
Lehigh Valley Sport and Social supports and follows all rules at venues where games are played. There are NO GLASS CONTAINERS allowed at any venue which allows for the consumption of alcohol. Teams are expected to cleanup after themselves each week and throw out any garbage.
Venues Locations -
Lehigh Valley Sport and Social will make every attempt to maintain dates, times,and locations of all games in a given league. There may be events outside of Lehigh Valley Sport and Social's control that will affect the league scheduling and result in a change in date, time, location, and number of games played in a given week.